Connecticut’s Beardsley Zoo in Bridgeport is proud to announce its first non-juried photography exhibition, an opportunity for the Zoo’s many dedicated amateur and professional photographers to submit their best work for public viewing. Opening night for the Exhibit is Thursday, July 25, a festive evening celebration for the public, to view the photos and for photographers to meet and mingle with each other.
Beardsley Zoo Exhibit Rules:
- Each photographer can submit three photos, sized 8 x 10, and matted, with a $10 fee per photo.
- Photos must include animals from Connecticut’s Beardsley Zoo. They may be older photos from a previous year as well as current photos.
- Milford Photo will provide First, Second, and Third prizes in the form of gift certificates to the store. First prize is $200, second prize is $100, and third prize is $50.
- In addition to the judged photos, a People’s Choice will be selected. The general public can vote on their favorite by making a one-dollar donation for each vote.
- Photos will be offered for sale following the opening, with a portion of the proceeds going to support the Zoo.
- Photos are due to be submitted by June 30, 2019. Photo submissions may be dropped off at the Front Gate or the Zoo’s Welcome Center.
“Art is a natural way for people to express their love of animals and appreciation of nature,” said Zoo Director Gregg Dancho. “The Photography Goes Wild Exhibit will help to showcase the stunning diversity of species at the zoo, and we hope, encourage people to focus on preserving wild habitats and animal conservation in new ways.”
In preparation for the Exhibit, event sponsor Milford Photo will be on Zoo grounds on Saturday, June 22, with a display of cameras and lenses. In addition to a guided Zoo Walkabout with experienced animal photographer and Zoo Volunteer Jack Bradley, Milford Photo will loan lenses that day for a free trial.