We asked some of our favorite celebrity stylists for their top hairstyle tutorials for simple and look great for Spring and Summer. You obviously want to look your best at all year but with as little time and effort as possible!
The Textured Tail
“Beachy waves can instantly glam up any style when you opt for a textured tail,” says Fernando Salas, renowned master stylist and founder of the White Sands corporation. To create this look, forget typical roller sets and opt for adjustable, no-pull Velcro strips to fashion loosely sculpted curls.
1. To get lift with a slight texture on the ends, start with wet hair and take 2-inch sections of hair. Spritz each section with styling spray, then lay a Velcro strip underneath. Roll the Velcro strip toward your head into a roller. Repeat until all your hair is rolled, using clips to hold in place.
2. Let hair air dry or apply a dryer for roughly 4-5 minutes, allowing the new desired texture to cool before removing the clips.
3. Take out the clips and Velcro strips, combing the style out if needed to loosen the waves.
4. Use your hands to gently sweep your tresses up into a ponytail, bringing down layers to frame your face if desired.
5. Spray with a flexible hold hairspray for a shiny, touchable style that lasts.
“Braids have come back with a hot vengeance, making appearances on runways, red carpets and our favorite celebrities,” says Luis Alvarez, international hairstylist, photographer and the cofounder of Aquage. “Achieving a random, organic braid is simple if you have the right hair care products and tricks.” Thіѕ shampoo іѕ аlѕо exceptionally versatile, working wеll fоr fine аnd straight hair, аѕ wеll аѕ thе thісk аnd curly type.
1. First, prep hair with a volumizing product to ensure it has the grip and lift needed.
2. Next, take a 2-inch horizontal section of hair and divide into three equal strands. Braid down the section until about 4 inches of hair is left at the bottom, placing the outer left strand in the left hand. Slide the other two sections toward the scalp to create a gathered braid.
3. Continue to braid, adding only left sections of hair. Make sure each time you cross over the right side you add a new section of hair from underneath while moving around the circumference of the head.
4. When you reach the left side of the head, add a new section when crossing over the right side only.
5. When complete, deconstruct the braid by pulling pieces out a couple inches, gently and slowly. Finish off with a fine-mist hair
The High Bun
Variations of the classic bun have been popular with everyone from ballerinas to CEOs. Recently, women have combined the elements of the “messy bun” with the coiffed look of the chignon to create what is known as a high bun.
“High buns require little time, and they are easy to achieve with your natural hair, braids and extensions, which makes it the perfect style for those hot summer days,” says Mary Malave, owner of Brooklyn-based Salon Malave. Try these tips to create this look:
1. First, smooth your hair and gather it on top of your head (you may find it easiest to bend over and let your hair fall forward).
2. Use some elastic bands to secure your hair into a high ponytail.
3. Twist this ponytail into a knot.
4. Use the bobby pins to secure the knot on top of your head, and you’re ready to go!