Tanduay USA hosted their first US Rum Cocktail Competition at Home Restaurant in Branford the other night and we were there on-hand to try them all out. Mixologists from a variety of restaurants around the state came out to compete. All of the cocktails featured Tanduay Silver or Tanduay Gold Rum.
Participants and Cocktails:
- Wood N Tap (Farmington): Tanduay Thunder
- Quench Cafe (Waterbury): Thrilla from Manilla
- Post 154 (Westport): Tanduay Liquid Turtle
- The Chelsea (Fairfield): Rumbunchious
- Forbidden City Bistro (Middletown): Lost in Boracay Paradise
- Oak Haven Table and Bar (New Haven): The Blue Orchid
- The Cask Republic (New Haven): Les Blueberry “Mojito Style” Cocktail
- Max Fish (Glastonbury): Endless Summer
- The Spotted Horse Tavern (Westport): TandBerritini
- Home Restaurant (Branford): Spiced Berry
The night was filled with wonderful appetizers provided Home Restaurant, lively conversation, and lots of cocktails!
Mixologists from each restaurant were given a few minutes to prepare their cocktail, explain how they came up with their drink and what ingredients were being used to make it. Cocktails were judged on Taste, Drink Presentation, Overall Presentation, and Overall Creativity. While the judges tested cocktails for judging, we all tried samples of each cocktail so we could decided for ourselves who should win.
Watch the 1 minute video to see all of the cocktails being judged.
Carl Carrion: Culinary Director of the Skal Restaurant Group
Rowena White: Sales Manager – Special Events for Connoisseur Media
David Brogan: Master Mixologist, TV Personality and owner of “Signature David”
Adam Zengou: Bartender at Brennan’s Shebeen and Bartender of the Year in 2012 for Fairfield County by Advocate poll
Congratulations to The Cask Republic from New Haven for the winning cocktail, Les Blueberry “Mojito Style” Cocktail. This cocktail was made with a special Blueberry infusion Cask Republic makes using hand harvested blueberries and fresh picked mint.
The people’s choice voting award went to Home Restaurant for Spiced Berry cocktail (last photo at the bottom right corner above)
The winning cocktail from Cask Republic