Candied pecans and walnuts made a great snack and also a tasty topping for salads, hot oatmeal or yogurt for snacking. Nuts of all kinds are a great source of protein. If you don’t want to use white sugar, substitute it with Stevia or honey.
How to Make Candied Pecans and Walnuts
- 2 cups of walnuts (or pecans, or a mix of both)
- 1 Tablespoon applesauce (you can substitute honey for applesauce)
- 1/3 cup sugar (you can substitute Stevia for sugar)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons of cinnamon
1. Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees.
2. Mix nuts and applesauce together in a bowl.
3. Mix cinnamon and sugar together in a different bowl.
4. Add cinnamon and sugar to nuts and applesauce making sure to coat the nuts well before baking.
5. Spread the mixture on a baking sheet in one layer.
6. Bake for 20 minutes.
As the nuts cool they will crackle. They might stick together so to prevent that separate them with a fork while they are cooling.