This lemon chicken pasta dish is bursting with fresh flavor and made healthy with whole wheat pasta, a light cream sauce, and vegetable goodness. Eat lighter this year
Recipe developed by Handle the Heat.
- 12 ounces whole grain fettuccine
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast fillets
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low fat (2%) milk
- 4 tablespoons STAR Family Reserve Olive Oil with Lemon Peel, divided
- 2 ounces low fat cream cheese cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- juice of one lemon
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the fettuccine and cook according to the package directions, or until al dente. Drain, reserving ½ cup of the cooking water.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and broccoli. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove the mixture to a medium bowl.
3. Season the chicken with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add another tablespoon of the oil to the pan and add the chicken. Cook until well browned, about 5 to 7 minutes. Turn and continue cooking until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160°F, about another 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate and tent loosely with foil. Cut into strips when cool enough to handle.
4. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk and season with 3/4 teaspoon salt. Whisking constantly, cook until the mixture is thickened, about 3 minutes. Add the Neufchatel cheese and Parmesan cheese and stir until melted and smooth, about 2 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and parsley. Stir in some of the reserved pasta cooking water to loosen the sauce, if desired.
5. Add in the garlic, mushroom, and broccoli mixture and the pasta. Toss to combine. Season to taste with more salt and pepper if needed. Divide between four serving dishes and top with strips of chicken. Serve.