We love to eat soup, especially when it’s cold out. It warms your belly. We often go to Olive Garden and eat their Zuppa Toscana soup which is made with kale, potatoes, and sausage. We came up with our own version of Olive Garden’s “Zuppa Toscana” soup that you can easily make at home. Sometimes it’s so cold outside, even a trip to Olive Garden seems too much. So just stay home and make this soup tonight. Your tummy will thank you.
Our soup is slightly more healthy because it doesn’t include any cream.
Copycat “Zuppa Toscana” Kale, Potato and Sausage Soup Recipe
- 1 bunch fresh kale, cleaned and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 whole red potatoes, diced into small cubes
- 1 whole onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds of Italian sausage
- 4 cups vegetable broth (canned is fine)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 can Cannellini Beans
- 2 tablespoons chopped Garlic
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Bay leaves
- Salt and Pepper
1. Clean the kale and set it aside. Make sure to chop the kale into smaller, bite-sized pieces.
2. In a large pot, add the olive oil and heat on medium for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the onions to the heated oil and cook the onions until almost tender, then add the garlic and cook for one minute.
3. Crumble and brown the Italian sausage in the onions and garlic.
4. Once sausage is cooked, add the broth, potatoes, and Bay leaves. Simmer covered for 20 minutes.
5. Add the beans and tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Give your kale soup a bit of salt and pepper, to taste.
7. Stir in the kale. Simmer an additional 10-15 minutes and serve.
Our copycat “Zuppa Toscana” kale, potato and sausage soup is hearty soup that goes well with warm fresh French bread.